Whole milk yogurt is a fermented dairy food that was originally developed by people from Western Asia and Eastern Europe. However this dairy food contains a lot of nutrients that are vital for our system to develop and function well. Whole milk yogurt is primarily made from milk that has all its components, including fat.
It has a slightly sour and tangy taste. And it also has a richer mouthfeel and a creamier body that is much more enjoyable to spoon up. In other words it is much more delicious in its own way.However, this type of yogurt is available in a variety of flavors depending on how you make them;
These varieties are;
- Firstly ; You can make whole milk yogurt from organic milk.
- Secondly ; pastured or conventionally raised livestock milk can give you whole milk yogurt.
- Thirdly ; you can also get plain or flavored whole milk yogurt as well.
Similarly, a variety of whole milk yogurts are usually known to be made from cow’s milk , but I am happy to inform you that you can also make whole milk yogurt from goat’s milk!. “Yes”! From goat’s milk!. Most interestingly, there is what we call soy milk. Which is a special type of milk that can also be manufactured into a non-dairy version of yogurt.
Nutritional content of whole milk yogurt.
|Omega 3 fats|
- This yogurt contains active probiotics that promote health by improving intestinal flora and aiding the immune system.
- This nutritious yogurt contains less lactose making it healthy to drink.
- Additionally, whole yogurt helps improve or even prevent constipation in babies. As it keeps your system well hydrated because of the water that is present in it.
- Similarly , this yogurt type has ailments that may help in improving inflammation as well as prevent bowel diseases.
- Notably , not only does it prevent bowel diseases but also works in assisting your system to prevent diarrhea.
- Whole milk yogurt also contains active cultures that help in restoring good intestinal bacteria in your system.
- Finally; whole milk yoghurt is easy to make for your baby at home.
Can I include Whole milk yogurt on my main menu?
Yes!Whole milk yogurt can be added to your main menu and I fact at every point from the starter to the main dish. Most importantly;
- You can served and eaten whole milk yogurt as it is without any side dishes or anything added to it.
- However, this yogurt can be used as a marinate when preparing meat dishes such as chicken.
- In ad to all this you can also mix it with other foods such as fruits, particularly bananas, in order to make a nutritious yogurt and banana puree for your baby.
- Moreover, this nutritious yogurt can be used as a substitute for sour cream in your recipes.
- Noteworthy,you can also use sliced fruits and use them as a topping on your whole milk yogurt. Thus making a delicious dessert that you and your family will love to dig into.
- In addition, this yogurt can be used as a base for sauces, soups and stews.
- In the same vein this yogurt type can be used as a riding agent in your baking dishes; because of its acidity your dough will rise nicely than usual.
- If you want a refreshing taste of Middle Eastern foods. You can try to make a refreshing summer juice by ; mixing your yogurt with a blended fruit of your choice.
How to make yogurt at home.
When making yogurt from home, I first start off by heating my milk then after. I go on to take a small scoop of my active culture yogurt. Then put it in my milk, and start to gently mix it in. After this ,I then take my just made homemade yogurt and pour it into jars or tubs. Then neatly pack them in a cooler or simply refrigerate.
How to make Greek yogurt for your baby at home.
Just like whole milk, Greek yogurt is also a safe option for your baby who has just started their journey on complementary foods. Basically, we will be making Greek yogurt in a slightly different way than the above .
- First , you need to heat 1 quarter cup of milk at 185°.
- Secondly, draw your milk from heat and allow it to cool to between 105 and 115 degrees.
- Thirdly, stir in the culture and mix well or add 3 tablespoons of any plain commercial yogurt
- Add a starter to the cooled milk.
- Pour the mixture into a container and cover your milk loosely and incubate.
- When your yogurt has set , remove it from incubation.
Homemade Yogurt Recipe
You will need ;
- About ½ pint of heavy cream.
- ½ gal of whole milk.
- Starter ½ cup yogurt.
- Pour your milk into a saucepan and then bring it to a boil.
- Stir the milk constantly until milk comes to a boil
- When milk comes to a boil, add ½ pint of heavy cream and stir.
- Pour into an earthen bowl or Pyrex dish and mix well, and leave to rest until lukewarm.
- Take some yogurt and mix it with milk to dilute.
- Pour the mixture of diluted starter into the lukewarm milk/cream mix and stir.
- Wrap the warm milk and leave it in a warm place, undisturbed, for at least 8 to 10 hours.
Variations of yogurt ;
- Skyr yogurt which is really more like a milk cheese in texture.
- American-style plain whole-milk yogurt.
- Full-fat yogurt
- Whole-milk Greek yogurt, also known as strained yogurt.
- Greek yogurt.
Whole milk yogurt for babies
Just the mention of the word “yogurt” to my ten months old baby, makes her so very excited. As she knows that she is about to get a treat. Above all, It gets her ready for her anytime treat. I always offer my baby yogurt, anytime whenever they need it. Simply because, yogurt is a very healthy food particularly for my babies. But, also not overdoing it, as they need variety on their menu.Moreover, whole milk yogurt is full of nutrients that babies need for their bone development, growth, skin, eyes and of course your baby’s immune health. Whole milk yoghurt has nutrients such as Vitamin B which provide enough energy for your baby to go on .
As a matter of fact this yogurt is good for babies because it promotes the development of strong bones and teeth. So, be sure to offer your baby whole milk ,full-fat yogurt. As it has what babies need mostly at this age to support cell structure, metabolism, brain, gut, immune, and nervous system development as well. Notably, whole milk yogurt has compounds that also form beneficial microbial colonies in your baby’s gut.
Is raw milk yogurt safe for babies?
Most certainly, raw milk yoghurt is definitely not safe for you to feed your baby with. As babies still have underdeveloped immune systems. Doing so will put your baby at risk as raw milk yogurt can harbor pathogenic bacteria and other potential contaminants that can increase the risk of foodborne illnesses. Always try to get pasteurized milk products for both you and your baby.
What is the best yogurt for babies?
Firstly, we have whole milk yogurt or full fat plain yogurt that has been pasteurized. Secondly , Greek yogurt is especially helpful for babies starting solids because it clings well to spoons and fingers.Thirdly,we have goat milk yogurt, and sheep milk yogurt varieties which tend to be good for babies too.
When can babies eat yogurt ?
Yogurt can be introduced as soon as your baby is ready to start solids, which is generally around 6 months of age. When his or digestive system is ready to digest partial solid foods.However , yogurt can be added to your baby’s growing diet because it is soft and is also not a choking hazard to your baby . You can go ahead and have it up on your baby food shopping list.